1) Use 12 inch oven.
2) Line oven with aluminum foil
3) Heat butter and brown sugar in bottom until melted and well mixed
4) Place pineapple rings on top of butter-sugar mixture -- usually one ring in the middle and the rest round the edge
5) Cut cherries in half and place in middle of pineapple rings -- round side down
6) Mix cake batter as directed and pour over the top
7) Place oven over coals.
8) Check after 30 minutes, and adjust coals as needed.
9) Usually takes about 45 minutes to cook.
10) Remove cake and turn over to serve.